Last week was a week to plan for disasters so you have a plan for all of your family members. This week we are providing a few tips in case of an emergency.
What should I do in an emergency?
1. Keep calm and try not to panic. Assess the scene for any additional threats to you or your pet. This is important for everyone’s safety.
2. Keep the pet warm, as still and quiet as possible, and keep movement to a minimum, especially if there are neurological symptoms, broken bones, or any chance of a spinal injury. A muzzle or towel should be used for your protection as an injured animal may bite.
3. Contact your veterinarian. Explain what has happened and follow the specific advice given.
4. To safely move or transport an injured dog or cat get somebody to help you. For a small dog or cat put it into a carrier (remove the top for easy and safe access to the carrier; don’t push an injured dog through the small door or opening), or use a suitable container such as a strong cardboard box. For a larger dog, use a makeshift stretcher made out of some rigid material such as an appropriate sized, sturdy piece of wood. Carefully maneuver the dog onto a blanket or coat so that it can be gently moved to the carrier, box, or stretcher. The blanket will help stabilize the neck and spine, and prevent inadvertent biting or scratching from the injured pet.
5. Transport your pet to your veterinarian as soon as possible.
6. Do not try to help an injured stray pet or wildlife on your own. Contact local authorities for experienced , trained personnel .
Did you know we have an Emergency Clinic available in Covington ? It is open overnight and weekends . East Metro Emergency Clinic 678-212-0300.
Although this is a long ( 5 minute) video, it is a heart warming story. Enjoy.
The Chihuahua dog is the smallest breed. There are also other small dog breeds such as the Yorkshire terrier and the toy poodle.
The answer to last weeks question was tapeworms. And the winner is Lindsay Lyle and her pet Bexley! Congratulations!
And an easy question for this week: What should be used to protect yourself from being bitten by an injured pet?
Email the correct answer to email@example.com by Friday at noon to be eligible for the weekly prize.