Ruff Draft, Rockdale Animal Hospital’s blog will be featuring a weekly fun news and pet tips blog each Wednesday. The blog post will be available for viewing each Wednesday by noon. At the end of the blog post, a contest question will be asked. If you send the correct answer to email@example.com by noon Friday of the same week, you will be put in a drawing for a small weekly prize.
Rockdale Animal Hospital is celebrating Pet Health Dental Month for three months! During the months of February, March and April 2015 get a FREE dental exam by our pet nurses! We are also offering a discount on dental cleanings for your dog or cat. Dentals are done on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and your pet goes home the same afternoon. Call us today to set your appointment as we have a limited number of spaces available at the discounted price.
Now for some fun facts about dental disease…..
** Dental disease is the most common health issue in pets, affecting 78% of dogs and 68% of cats.
** Got a small dog? Toy breeds are more prone to dental disease. Check your pet’s mouth.
** Dogs have more teeth than humans and rarely get cavities because their saliva has an extremely high pH, which prevents demineralization. Dogs have 42 teeth
Integrating Cats and Dogs
When first introducing a cat into a dog-only household (or vise-versa), keep the following in mind:
Always supervise the animals until you know how they will get along.
Separate the cat and dog during mealtimes.
Separate the animals physically when leaving your house. Make sure to provide each with fresh water, resting beds, toys and/or a litter box.
Consider using a baby gate to allow the animals to sniff each other without coming into full contact.
Take puppies/dogs to obedience classes to learn basic commands such as “sit,” “stay” or “down.”
Just as with humans, friendships take time to develop; don’t be upset if your animals don’t become pals right away. Regardless, it’s important to give equal amounts of attention to all your pets so no one feels left out.
Did you know ?
A cat’s tongue is scratchy because it’s lined with papillae—tiny elevated backwards hooks that help to hold prey in place.
The most popular breed of dog in the world by registered ownership is the Labrador. With their gentle nature, obedience, intelligence and near limitless energy, Labradors make for excellent family pets and reliable workers. They often assist police and are a common choice as guide dogs.
Top 10 Reasons It’s Good to be a Dog
1. If it itches – you can scratch it – even in public
2. No one notices or cares if you have hair growing in some weird places as you get older
3. Personal Hygiene ain’t too bad – its not like you have to bathe everyday & somebody else combs your hair
4. Having a wet nose is a sign of good health
5. You don’t need fancy entertainment systems – you got a bone
6. You can spend hours smelling stuff
7. You can spend all day sleeping, if ya want!
8. It doesn’t take much to make you happy. You’re excited just see the same old people day after day. Heck all they have to do is leave the room for 5 minutes and come back in – and you’re happy
9. You never have to pay for lunch or dinner – OR worry about your table manners AND ……………………
10. If you gain weight – it’s someone else’s fault!
Now for our question of the week……..
What dog breed is more prone to dental disease?
Send your answer to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon Friday 2/27/15 . Winner will be announced the following week in Ruff Draft.